Top 5 Best Rated Memory Foam Mattress
My search to find the best memory foam mattress in the Riverside area began just over a year ago. Perhaps the first thing I discovered is that almost all memory foam that fit a modest budget had “No Memory” and was more like the foams that existed long before NASA or Tempu-pedic
However, there were some that fit a modest budget and a basic standard.
Apply these principles when choosing a Quality Top 5 Best Rated Memory Foam mattress:
- Has memory. If you sit on a bed for a bit, get up and turn and look, there should still be a depression the size of your rear end still in the mattress. A good quality memory foam will restore to it’s original shape with-in 5-15 seconds (one thousand one, one thousand two etc). This slow rise results zero pressure for your body.
- Has Zero pressure on the spine. Falling asleep with keys or wallet is no problem on quality memory foam because the mattress will absorb it. Test this, throw a pocket full of keys on the bed and lay on them. If you feel anything but temperature, it is not zero pressure.
- Is heat sensitive and will conform to your body in five to fifteen minutes. So when you find two or three memory foam mattresses you think you would like to buy, lay on each for 15 minutes or more, the mattress should “cradle you as your body heat warms the memory foam.”
- Is Layered with at least 1 Comfort Layer and a Base Layer. Here is the rub, all “memory foams” fill this description. Some with as little as 1 or 2 inches of what they call “memory foam”. My all time favorite memory foam mattress is constructed with five different layers of varied densities, At least 1/3 or 33% of the overall height of the mattress should be memory foam. Once I discovered this it made it so much easier to rate memory foam mattresses.
- Memory Foam can be HOT. Choose a mattress that has a genuine surface layer of true memory foam designed to buffer or dissipate the heat – “Cool Mattress“.
- Comfort Foams are personal and very subjective. As long as you have a good heat dissipating surface foam and supportive base foam, in your comfort foam, choose as they say “what feels right.”
- Base Foams are also important. Most memory foams have base foams of 1.9 or less which may create a hammock effect, for true spinal support find base foam rated at 2 or 2.1.
- Should be Certified by a third party for: Quoted by Centipur
- Low Emissions (low VOCs) for indoor air quality
- Made without chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) or other ozone depleters
- Made without PBDE flame retardants
- Made without formaldehyde
- Made without prohibited phthalates
- Tested and approved for durability and performance
The Top 5 BEST Rated Memory Foam Mattresses in Riverside
- MLILY (pronounced em-lily) ranked number one in my book for the best rated memory foam mattress in Riverside for their overall quality and value. Ranging in price for queen models from $909 to $1895 they are priced substantially below tempur-pedic’s line up without sacrificing any thing in quality. And they have added 1/2″ to 1″ of layer of bamboo charcoal infused with memory foam which whisks away heat and moisture making it one of the most breathable, heat dissipating memory foams on the market. And many of their mattresses were found to be more comfortable. Also Mlily mattresses all carry a third party certification by Centipur-US.
- Comfortpedic by Simmons ranked number two in our selection just strictly for comfort. Alternating from Comfortpedic to Mlily and back about 7 times did not pose any discernible difference in comfort or feel. Comfortpedic’s memory foam mattresses have 1″ of NxG expanded cell structure combined with an Air Cool Edge for heat dissipation. Simmons pricing begins about where Mlily‘s end. No third party certification however.
- Enso Sleep Systems memory foam mattresses came in a distant third mainly because they also carry a third party certification by Centipur-US. However they are a large company and most likely more bottom-line conscious than smaller companies like Mlily. They say they have air flow but they also use terms like poly and convoluted. Poly in any since I’ve heard it is spun plastic…not very cooling. And convoluted foams date back at least to the seventies when it was used widely in convalescence for about $30. a bed. Never the less they claim cooling and their beds are comfortable.
- Tempur-pedic ranks fourth for several reasons. Price, comfort and heat. While they introduced memory foam mattresses to America and spent a fortune on endless infomercials educating Americans on the benefits, we believe they failed in educating themselves on the market, ever expanding competition and the marketplace itself. In recent years they have shown some responsiveness in these categories but many are asking if it has been too little too late. No third party certification.
- COMFORT PEDIC a local two store chain that makes their own memory foam mattress that actually ranks 3rd of 3 on just memory foam itself. No frills, no heat dissipation, no layers. Just a very true memory foam mattress and pricey. No third party certification.
This list of the top 5 best rated memory foam mattresses.
Hope Sleep well in your memory foam mattress Riverside!
Just got here from a twitter link.I may would Best rank Comfortpedic by Simmons then second best rank Mlily. Although I think Mlily makes great quali
Just got here from a twitter link.
I may would Best rank Comfortpedic by Simmons then second best rank Mlily. Although I think Mlily makes great quality mattresses. Simmons is probably just a more knows name brand, btw good article.
I always appreciate well written articles that provide useful knowledge of a given topic. I found the information to be extremely helpful in choosing
I always appreciate well written articles that provide useful knowledge of a given topic. I found the information to be extremely helpful in choosing a memory foam mattress. I thank the author for taking the time to educate us not-so-informed mattress and furniture shoppers to actually know what we're looking for when it comes to this kind of investment.
Really enjoyed learning how to choose my mattress. This article brought up several aspects I had no idea about that will be very useful for me. Than
Really enjoyed learning how to choose my mattress. This article brought up several aspects I had no idea about that will be very useful for me. Thank you for taking the time to write this.